*Please note new location: Evanston Gardens Community Centre, 65 Angle Vale Rd, Evanston Gardens
Date: Sat 21 August 2021
Bookings essential: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/gawler-repair-cafe-tickets-165219354537
*Covid restrictions will apply, we will provide updates re any major changes.
Repair Cafes provide a free meeting space where community members can work with skilled volunteers to repair items that would otherwise go to waste. Our volunteers have skills in electrical repairs (small appliances), jewellery repairs, sewing and mending clothing, general repairs (mechanical/woodwork) and bikes. Services are provided free of charge but customers can choose to make a small donation to support the service if they wish.
Most attendees get to see a repairer straight away but coffee, tea and cake are provided to keep you occupied if you do need to wait.
How it all Works
– The repair café philosophy is to teach people how to undertake the repair themselves if possible. For that reason we ask that attendees sit with the repairer while the repair is taking place, so they can observe the process and have a go at it themselves.
– All repairs are conducted at the discretion of the repairer; if the repairer isn’t comfortable with conducting the repair, it won’t be undertaken.
– There are some items it isn’t possible to repair at the café e.g. microwave ovens and TVs retain charge and it is dangerous to attempt to repair them. We are also unable to do repairs that require larger “shed” type equipment e.g. welding.
– Repairers will fix one item per attendee. If there is time they may be able to look at a second item for you, but this will depend on whether others are waiting.
– We are focused on repairs as opposed to major alterations. E.g. we can help you darn a hole in a jumper, or repair a rip in a pair of trousers. If you have multiple items of clothing that need to be taken up or in, that is a job for a professional alterations service.
– Our repairers are skilled volunteers. They will try their best to fix your item but there are no guarantees.
If you would like any further information, or if you are interested in becoming a Repair Café volunteer, please contact GEC Coordinator Kathy on 0413 694 477 or email@example.com
Gawler Environment Centre is grateful for the support provided to this project by the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science through the Communities Environment Program.
Repair Cafe List: Adelaide and Surrounds
Too far to travel to Gawler? There might be a repair cafe closer to you. Check out the list for Adelaide and surrounding areas on the Adelaide Sustainability Centre website: www.adelaidesustainabilitycentre.org.au/projects/repair-cafes