Small metal (eg. bottle tops, can lids)
If small pieces of metal (eg. bottle tops) go into the recycling bin loose they will end up in landfill as they are too small to be sorted.
To recycle small pieces of metal:
- Place small metal into a milo/coffee tin
- Keep the container in a convenient place and fill it up with your small metal pieces
- When the tin is full put the lid on and chuck it into your recycling bin
OR put small pieces of metal into a smaller can (eg. baked bean) and squash the top of the can to ensure they can’t fall out.
Small hard plastic (eg. straws, bottle tops, bread tags, plastic cutlery)
If small pieces of plastic are put loosely into your recycling bin they will fall through the cracks at the materials recovery facility and end up in landfill.
To recycle small hard plastic items:
- Place small hard plastics into a milk or juice bottle (use a container that is plastic and semi see-through)
- Keep the container in a convenient place (eg. under your sink) and fill it up with all your small plastics
- When the bottle is full, screw the lid on and chuck it into your recycling bin