The Gawler Environment Centre aims to be a focal point for new and useful information and resources specific to our region relating to;
Sustainable Land Management
– Environmentally responsible living
If we do not have the information you require we will endeavor to find it for you. We can also refer you to one of the Adelaide & Mt Lofty Ranges NRM Board staff that work in the region. We hope to become a shop front for environmental community groups in the region to promote the wonderful work they are doing and perhaps generate some new volunteers.
We are one of eight NRC’s in the AMLR NRM Board district they include; Mt Pleasant; Adelaide Hills; Willunga; Normanville; Victor Harbor; Barossa Bushgardens, Gawler and the newest, Adelaide NRC at the Joinery. The Gawler Regional NRC services the Nothern Service Area which covers a large region including the following Council areas: Gawler, Light Regional, Barossa, Mallala and Playford. (Refer to map below) The region includes the following catchments:
- Parts of the Little Para River
- The North & South Para Rivers
- The Gawler River
- The Light River
- Helps Rd Drain
- Smith Creek
It also services the coastal environment north of Adelaide from St. Kilda through to north of Port Parham.
To provide a focus for natural resource management activities of community groups and Commonwealth, State & Local government and to facilitate the co-ordination of these groups and other people involved with natural resource management.
The Gawler Regional NRC will focus its support within the Adelaide & Mount Lofty Ranges NRM Board’s Northern Service Area. In particular the Gawler, Light Regional, Barossa, Mallala, Playford and Tea-Tree Gully Council Areas.
- The Adelaide & Mount Lofty Ranges Natural Resource Management Board initiated the first meeting with members of the community who were interested in setting up a Natural Resource Centre in Gawler.
- Native Gardens planted outside of Centre by Greencorp team. The garden was designed by Paul Koch and the plants indigenous to the region were donated by the Gawler Environment and Heritage Association.
- An application for funding was submitted to the Adelaide and Mount Lofty Ranges Natural Resources Management Board Offices via the NRC Alliance.
- An interim Gawler Regional NRC Committee was formed.
- June 4th – The Centre was manned by volunteers every Thursday from 10am to 3pm.
- June 10th – The Centre was Incorporated.
- October 8th – The Centre was officially opened by Tony Piccolo MP.
- October 21st – Inaugural AGM and formal Gawler Regional Natural Resource Centre Committee formed.
- January – Funding received from the Adelaide & Mount Lofty Ranges NRM Board and part-time coordinator employed
The majority of the funding for the Centre currently comes from the Adelaide and Mount Lofty Ranges NRM Board including significant in-kind support. Additional funding is sourced from grants. This currently allows a Coordinator to be employed part time (20 hours/week). The long term success of the Centre will rely on securing extra support from the community and ongoing volunteer input.
The Gawler Environmental Centre is an independent community group that was incorporated on the 10th of June 2009. The Inaugural AGM was held on the 21st of October, 2009 at which the first official Committee was elected. The Committee is made up of volunteers from the region with experience and interest in natural resource management who are committed to assisting with the running of the Centre.
The Committees Constitution was developed by the interim committee and adopted at the AGM, October 2009. It outlines the rules of association for the Committee. Objectives for the Centre have been established by the Committee and a work-plan has been produced to guide the Coordinator in the management of the Centre. There are currently eight members on the Committee out of a maximum of ten. Meetings are held bimonthly. Members of the public are welcome to attend and if you would like to join the Committee please contact us.
GRNRC Committee Membership as of February 2016
Jenni Douglas: Chairperson
Terry Allen: Vice Chairperson
Kathryn Martin: Treasurer
Sara Loechel: Coordinator
Ian Faulkner: Public Officer
Erika Bonis: Secretary Graham Brookman: Ordinary member
Gem Congdon: Ordinary member Philippa Davey: Ordinary member Tracey Steggles: Ordinary Member